Faded grandeur furniture with a twist of lime paint

Last Monday I was lucky enough to have a creative play day in my Lincolnshire workshop with a truly talented fellow furniture painting artist.

The lovely Michelle Fulbrook, otherwise know as The Painted Pearl came to visit me all the way from Whitstable in Kent. That’s a very long way, so I was super flattered that Michelle would not only want to come and paint with me for the day, but be willing to share her considerable expertise in working with these new materials she kindly shared to create these pieces.

Michelle is very well known and respected within the painting and interior design industry with an outstanding reputation for creating decorative and special finishes so I was in perfect hands to learn something new!

We both worked with Venice by Autentico which is a slaked lime paint. I had previously had a play with it, creating a decorative backdrop for photo shoots in my workshop. We virtually met online over Saltwash and then my rusty nail had caught Michelle’s attention so she wanted to see how my Faded Grandeur technique would work with lime paint.

So what do you think? Can you spot who’s whose? We both worked in the same colours but with every different end results. I am really happy with my photographs of these little French bedsides and wanted to share them with you.

This is all super new but I will share details on colours and technique soon.

* Since posting this blog Autentico has very kindly offered to give anyone following my links to purchase their products 10% off.

I will receive a small commission as a thank you.

If you’d like to try Venice Lime Paint or any product whatsoever just please head over to the Autentico site in your country and use code JMM for the discount (currently available with Autentico UK, Australia, France, Ireland and Holland).

8 Comments

1. Ed
    September 20, 2019 / 11:44 am

The two pieces are lovely. The most attractive thing they have is that they look authentically old with stories to tell about the passage of time through that wonderful patina the artists were able to create on them. Congratulations!
    P.S.
    It would be nice to make a tutorial to achieve this look for purchase 😃

• jmarcmendes
      Author
      September 22, 2019 / 6:48 pm

Thank you Ed. I agree, the lime paint is a brilliant way to authentic aging. I will definite use it again and add it to my list for future tutorials. Thank you for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it.
      J x

• Moacyr Santizo
        September 24, 2019 / 12:59 am

Sorry, I didn’t guess which piece you had painted. Your signature fly speck gives it away… that’s the one you painted.

• jmarcmendes
          Author
          September 24, 2019 / 10:44 am

You might just be right! Thank you for commenting, Jx

2. Karin Mann
    September 24, 2019 / 3:27 am

Love this one Jonathon!!! Totally gorgeous!!

• jmarcmendes
      Author
      September 24, 2019 / 10:43 am

Thank you Karin. It is a great look isn’t it? I am quite new to using Lime Paint on furniture but will definitely do more in future. Thank you for taking the time to comment. Jx

3. Lois Armstrong
    September 26, 2019 / 2:02 pm

Absolutely love this one. I wish I could crack the code. I’ve been doing a lot of practicing with paint techniques and you are my absolute favorite for inspiration. I plan to ask for your online Painted Love Academy as a group gift for Christmas. I’m hoping to retire sooner than later – it’s time – and see where the painting takes me. If nothing else, my home will be filled with furniture I love.

• jmarcmendes
      Author
      September 27, 2019 / 11:56 am

Thank you so much Lois. That is a great idea. I will have a look at vouchers. So glad to inspire you whether to sell or for yourself, creating your own furniture is so rewarding. J x